The Kingston Fire Department was called to the home of Mayor Tim Neal Saturday afternoon after a fire broke out at his house.
The call came in at around 5 pm Saturday, and when firefighters arrived at the Kelsey Drive home, they reported seeing smoke coming from the front portion of the house. The fire was extinguished, but still caused major damage to the living room and smoke damage to the rest of the house.
Our partners at BBB-TV report that Kingston fire officials say the blaze was caused by a lit cigarette that caught a recliner on fire. Mayor Neal’s wife Laura had to jump out a window to escape the fire and was flown to UT Medical Center for treatment of a laceration to her forearm caused when she broke out the glass to free herself. That laceration reportedly severed an artery, but BBB reports that Ms. Neal was treated at the hospital and released.