Home / Featured / BBB: Roane could see tax hike, nothing set in stone

BBB: Roane could see tax hike, nothing set in stone

According to our partners at BBB-TV, Anderson County is not the only county in the area that could face a property tax increase in the coming fiscal year.

Last week, the Anderson County Budget Committee voted to pass along a budget to the full County Commission that includes a 12.8-cent property tax increase, with 8.3 cents of that going to fund the opening of Unit 1 at the Anderson County Jail.

BBB reports that during Tuesday’s Roane County Commission meeting, County Executive Ron Woody told commissioners that as it stands right now, the Budget Committee is looking at the possibility of an 11-cent property tax rate increase. Woody was quick to point out, though, that that figure is not set in stone and that he expects those numbers to change by the time the full Commission gets a look at the budget.

Roane County leaders are looking for ways to pay for the estimated $10 million in damage done to county roads during the severe flooding in February and March, as well as ways to fund school improvements.

While TEMA and FEMA are expected to cover about 85% of the road repair costs, the county will be responsible for the remaining 15%. State and federal funds however, will not be distributed quickly, so the county has borrowed money to get the repair work started.

About Jim Harris

Jim Harris has been WYSH's News & Sports Director since 2000. In addition to reporting local news, he is the play-by-play voice for Clinton High School football, boys' and girls' basketball and baseball. Catch Jim live weekdays beginning at 6:20 am for live local news, sports, weather and traffic plus the Community Bulletin Board, shenanigans with Ron Meredith and more on the Country Club Morning Show on WYSH & WQLA. Jim lives in Clinton with his wife Kelly and daughter Carolina, his mother-in-law and cats Lucius and Oliver.

Check Also

FBI, CPD searching for robbery suspect

The FBI and Clinton Police are searching for a man they say robbed the bank …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *