According to the Knox County Jail website, Kenneth Bartley was booked into the facility on Monday on a bench warrant for failing to appear in court on a misdemeanor criminal trespassing charge last week.
This is just the latest twist in the saga of the now-26-year-old Kenny Bartley, who was 14 when he opened fire in an office at Campbell County High School, killing one administrator and wounding two others. Originally, he accepted a plea deal that sent him to jail for 45 years, but later retained Isaacs as his attorney, and won an appeal for a new trial. He was eventually found guilty on lesser charges of reckless homicide related to the shooting and released from prison.
Soon after his release in 2014, however, he picked up assault charges in two unrelated incidents involving his parents, eventually serving time behind bars in 2016 on a probation violation stemming from those incidents.
He was cited for criminal trespassing on November 27th, 2017 after refusing to leave the Salvation Army facility in Broadway in downtown Knoxville.
When Bartley was told he would be cited for criminal trespassing, he told the officer he was suicidal, leading the officer called for an ambulance that transported him to a local hospital.
Bartley was set to appear in court on December 11 for the trespassing charge, but didn’t show up. The judge issued a failure to appear warrant that day. He also missed a second appearance on February 7, so a second failure to appear warrant was issued.
Bartley was due in court Tuesday on the criminal trespassing complaint.