Fire destroys outbuilding, damages home; no one injured

A fire destroyed a storage building and damaged a home on Old Edgemoor Lane in Claxton late Sunday morning.

The Anderson County Sheriff’s Department reports that the fire call came in to the 911 center a little before 11:30 am Sunday and that when deputies arrived, they found the storage building engulfed in flames, along with the portion of the home closest to the outbuilding.

Deputies reported that the homeowner, Kathrine Lively, told them she had just finished using her lawn mower and put it back in the shed, when she went inside to take a shower. A few minutes later, she heard someone at her door yelling at her that she needed to come outside.

An emotional Lively reportedly tried to re-enter the burning home to retrieve an item but was restrained from doing so by deputies.

The Claxton Volunteer Fire Department extinguished the blaze. No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

About Jim Harris

Jim Harris has been WYSH's News & Sports Director since 2000. In addition to reporting local news, he is the play-by-play voice for Clinton High School football, boys' and girls' basketball and baseball. Catch Jim live weekdays beginning at 6:20 am for live local news, sports, weather and traffic plus the Community Bulletin Board, shenanigans with Ron Meredith and more on the Country Club Morning Show on WYSH & WQLA. Jim lives in Clinton with his wife Kelly and daughter Carolina, his mother-in-law and cats Lucius and Oliver.

Check Also

ORT: UCOR offers STEM ‘mini-grants’ to area teachers

(Information from Oak Ridge Today) UCOR, a federal cleanup contractor in Oak Ridge, is accepting …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *